Related Stories

A series of CCTV images have been issued of suspects being hunted after protests turned violent in Bristol.

Police made 30 arrests following the clashes in the Stokes Croft area in the early hours of Friday.

Officers and protesters were injured during a second demonstration in a week against the opening of a Tesco store in the area.

Images of more than 80 people have been issued by Avon and Somerset Police following the violence.

Rocks, bottles and other missiles were thrown during the protests, which had started peacefully in Cheltenham Road, at about 2000 BST on Thursday.

Police said they were determined to identify as many people involved as possible and bring them to justice.

Assistant Chief Constable Rod Hansen said “we cannot do it all alone”.

“So I am appealing to the community, to all the residents, and traders and other people whose lives have been severely disrupted, whose property may have been damaged and whose personal safety may have been put at risk by the violence: help us bring those responsible to justice.

“”I would urge people to study these photographs, and if you think you know who any of these people are, and where they might be, please contact us.”

On Friday morning, police raided a property in the road which led to a roof-top stand-off with protesters.

The road was closed while the raid took place, before being re-opened.

A week ago, the Tesco Express store in the street was damaged during an earlier protest after another raid on a squat.

Police said last week’s operation was carried out because they feared the newly-opened branch was to be petrol bombed.

The store has been at the centre of a campaign against its opening, but Tesco insists the majority of locals have condemned the violence and said there was strong support for the store.

Thursday night’s demonstration began as a “good-spirited event” attended by about eight neighbourhood beat officers determined to keep things peaceful, police said, .

“But the crowd grew, from around 250 or so protesters earlier in the evening to more than 400,” a spokesman said.

But there were claims officers contributed to the problems.

Police at scene of Friday morning's raid in Cheltenham RoadOn Friday morning, officers raided a property believed to be “directly connected” to the disorder

One protester, 39-year-old Richard Ayres, said: “I received three blows to my legs and a blow to my head for which I have received hospital treatment.”

He said he was “flabbergasted” about the way officers had conducted themselves.

Chris D’Agorne, who lives in Bristol and works for the BBC, said: “I got trapped between the police and the protesters who were throwing bins, glass bottles and bricks.

“Occasionally police officers would come out of the line to strike protesters, but they were targeted and would then have to fall back.”

A spokesman said a number of officers had sustained injuries during the violence.

A Tesco spokesperson said: “It’s very sad that a handful of individuals have once again turned against police and the local community.

“[The violence] in Stokes Croft and beyond underlines that this is not an anti-Tesco protest – our store is not even open.”

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.